Genesis 1.1 says In the beginning God created....
This has been a hot topic for a long time.
There are a number of opinions within the Christian community about who done it and when.
Was there a bang, a boom, or is that all a big bust?
Here are 6 opinions in Christian communities about creation. I want to thank Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill in Seattle for this outline. Gracias Mark.
1. Exegetical Historic Creationism-the Hebrew word bereshith "in the beginning" means an indefinite period of time. This could have been billions of years. Historic creationism also holds to the truth that after this creating for an indefinite period of time, six days of creation took place. In this view you have much time elapsing and 6 literal days.
2. New Earth Creationism-This view holds to a literal 6 days of creation and essentially rejects scientific claims.
3. Gap Theory-This view posits that two creative events happened in Genesis 1-3. The first event explains the "oldness" of the world, and the second event explains the "newness" as it relates to the literal 6 days of creation.
4. Literary Picture-This view holds that the creation account is a lovely literary picture.
5. Creative Event Theory-This position sees creation happening in 6 events without chronological limitation of 24 hour time period.
6.Theistic Evolution- Theistic evolution believes that God created but then removed himself from direct control. This allows the theory of evolution to emerge.
So where do you land and how bad do you want to fight over your position?
Let's have some fun this week. Watch for more posts as I develop this message.